The world is full of problems. So we tend to rely upon our problem-free devices of all sorts. Or at least we try to steer clear from facing problems with our devices at any cost.
Isn’t that right?
But, alas, that is not always the case! Even our devices sometimes make us encounter a problem that we find very confusing.
The error message errordomain=nscocoaerrordomain&errormessage=could not find the specified shortcut.&errorcode=4 is one of the problems our iOS or macOS devices might trouble us with.
How to solve it?
With this troubleshooting guide, you will find out how you can fix this error message and also how you can prevent it from happening in the first place.
Troubleshooting the Error Message: errordomain=nscocoaerrordomain&errormessage=could not find the specified shortcut.&errorcode=4
Now I’ll give you the list of things you can do to troubleshoot the error message problem you might encounter on your device.
- Checking the file path: The NSCocoaErrorDomain is an error code that comes up if one of your important files is missing. So you need to check the shortcut file path and make sure that it is correct. Also, you should check whether the shortcut file exists in your system or not. If it doesn’t, you have to restore it by reinstalling the creator software application or bringing it back from your backup.
- Checking file permissions: After checking your file path and finding all things to be okay, you might still encounter the error message. Then, you should check the permissions of your file path and make sure you can access the file or folder because of the existence of the permissions that are necessary.
- Checking for software conflicts: If the permissions and file path aren’t the issue, you need to check if all the software applications of your system have any conflicts with each other. You can disable any of your recently installed plugins or software applications to solve this issue.
- Reinstalling software: Now, if any of the above solutions don’t work, you need to uninstall your software, the one that created your shortcut, and reinstall it.
How to Prevent the Error Message: errordomain=nscocoaerrordomain&errormessage=could not find the specified shortcut.&errorcode=4
You can try taking these simple steps to make sure this error message doesn’t become a problem for you in the future:
- Test shortcuts thoroughly: Before you deploy any kind of application, you should test all of the shortcuts thoroughly to make sure they are all functional. You can also text on all of your iOS and macOS devices to discover if there are any compatibility issues.
- Handling errors easily: Apply resilient error-handling mechanisms inside all your codes. And then, when you do face various NSCocoaErrorDomain error messages, you should handle these by using some error messages that are user-friendly. Then, you can easily be able to offer alternative actions or potential solutions.
- Updating all applications regularly: All of the latest libraries and frameworks of Apple should be updated on a regular basis. Some of these updates can come with various improvements and bug fixes that will take care of these kinds of error messages.
- Performing code reviews: You can try to engage yourself in various code reviews to establish what the potential errors or pitfalls are that relate to your shortcuts and the NSCocoaErrorDomain. Taking the help of the other developers might help you take care of these issues ahead of time.
- Following the guidelines of Apple: If you follow the guidelines and recommendations that Apple provides for your shortcut implementation, you could save yourself from facing these error messages in the future.
There are many ways to troubleshoot and even prevent the error message errordomain=nscocoaerrordomain&errormessage=could not find the specified shortcut.&errorcode=4 from happening in the first place, only if you how how.